July 6, 2011

Thankful Thoughts

I'm so happy to have the time to share my experience with you. I've been places that I don't have the time to share, but this is really nice; especially for me to be able to think back on my day and recap, going at it one day at time.

We had a very busy day today! This morning was our first official class. We learned the vowels and the consonants of the korean language. So much for just one hour! (Which reminds me, I've got to practice!) Of course, I was the only one who forgot to say my major during introductions...leave it to me and my social awkwardness.

Lunch today was red bean rice, pumpkin soup and soy soup. The pumpkin soup was good, almost like liquid cornbread that tastes a little like pumpkin. I tried a green leaf and it had pricklies on it...like hair. I tried it anyway, and I don't know what happened, but it tasted like something we clean with. It was a burst of an herb and lit my mouth on fire. I asked them what it was and they said it was sesame leaf. It tasted very herbal, almost like an aloe. Evidently I was eating it wrong, though...you're supposed to eat it with jeuk bokum--made of pork with spices. I had this dish the first day I was here, over rice but today it seemed a little more spicy. I know, I know, I sound like a big chicken when it comes to spices...and I am--at least here. They have their own Korean chili that goes in almost everything....and I mean everything!

After our class this morning, we went to the downtown palaces. We walked forever, and today it was very humid, but once I post the pictures, you will see the mountains in the background! I just looked at the architecture and the scenery and just thought, "Wow. God, you are so amazing...how can people look at this place and not know there is a God? I thought Kentucky was beautiful, but these mountains...and the intellegence that you have provided for civilians to build and live amongst the mountains...simply incredible. You are an awesome God!" It brought tears to my eyes, having a little moment with the savior :)

 

 



This evening, we went and ate fried chicken! I was never so happy!!! It was so nice, and there was a korean sweet sauce that was simply delish! Coke was free! I even asked them what the catch was, and they informed us that some restaraunts offer free beverages! I was like, "That would never happen in the states!" Coke never tasted so good! :) During dinner, I got to know some more of the girls and we got to talking about music! Ha ha...I loved it! They say there is a piano room on campus, and I'm bound and determined to check it out sometime!

After dinner, we stopped at a Smoothie King. Never been before, but it was good. I enjoyed a very refreshing pineapple smoothie. While smoothying, we engaged in some interesting conversations about religion and different customs, as well as courtship and marriage. One of the girls, Tae Jung (we call her Emily) was sharing about her relationship and how they've dated for 3 years. She is wearing a type of promise ring, and we had asked if she would be getting married. She explained that it is custom for them to get married six years later. That's a heck of a long time! So we shared the differences between american traditions and such. It was very interesting, because there are the different countries, Taiwan and Malaysia and Korea, of which customs are all different in some way. As far as religion, it varies too...different types of buddhism. The girls said they practice what their parents do, even though they don't necessarily agree with it. I found that very interesting. Maybe some future opportunities to talk about my religion will occur again. I was just glad that my Faith ring provided the opportunity of the subject (one of the many reasons I wear it)!

Pottery making tomorrow! Should be fun! I love artsy stuff! We even get to bring our work home with us! Then Friday, I'm meeting my old friends who came to the states, for dinner! It will be so good to see their faces again!

Leaving you with one of my favorites: Genesis 2: 31a: And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment