In the politics class yesterday, we were talking about familial statistics, and some of the traditions as to how Korean families function. During the description, it hit me that my up-bringing has truly been one way that God has molded me for missions, or outreach to other cultures. You see, my family is sort of clannish...we always are around each other in a big setting, and we're very close for American families these days. While growing up, I knew my 3rd and 4th cousins and all, above and beyond my immediate family. I feel fortunate, because I've always noticed how international people are similar. When I used to spend time every Thursday with a multitude of mixed cultures, I had noticed how no matter where they are from, they treat each other like family. It's a bond that Americans take for granted.
Personally, its been very interesting to discover and appreciate the way God has molded me to be who I've become so far. Having been taught to keep family close, has definitely been an advantage experiencing the Korean culture. Last night, we had ordered pizza and chicken and drank Coke. It was delicious, but the best part about it was, we all had gathered around the table and talked. I loved every minute of it! Not only were we getting to know each other, but we compared our different cultures to one another. Again, God had shown me how thankful I should be for my younger years; not that I haven't been before, but it's just a great confirmation to know that I'm definitely in God's will and willing to allow God to mold me to be who he is designing me to be.
I'm looking forward to today...meeting my exchange friends tonight for supper!
I'm Really diggin' your blog, Holly :D
ReplyDelete-Daryl Manley