July 10, 2011

Dose of Reality

I had a wonderful weekend! Friday, I met my friends for supper, and on the way to dinner, we passed people fighting in the street because of a small car accident. I could tell because of the tone, even though I didn't know what they were saying. However, it was so good to see my friends, but so strange, because everyone was older and all grown up. They all have jobs and are so busy with life these days...helped me to really appreciate the time they took out of their day to see me! We had dinner at a really nice Korean restaraunt and then went to starbucks for coffee. They said if I pay attention, most Koreans have to get coffee after every meal...ha ha. I fit in so well here (other than being completely caucasian). This is when I truly began to feel I was in S.Korea.



Saturday was the DMZ trip. It was very...enlightening. I became very aware of the pain and suffering of the separation of Korea. There were some pretty serious moments, because there were restrictions on photography and places fenced off where land mines still exist. The only safe place was the road we were driving on in many cases. We visited the Freedom bridge, where people go to mourn for loved ones they cannot see. This makes me appreciate that America's civil war resulted in unification, not separation.
  
  


This trip was probably the most interesting so far, even though it was a bit somber. It was very informative and made me realize the emtional hardships of Korea. To this day, there is hope of re-unification.


After visiting the DMZ, I went back to Paju, to visit my friend Yu-mi and her family. It was very good to experience home life with her  and her family. It was so quiet out there, that I slept well! They fed me well, too! Yu-mi's mother is an excellent cook, so much so, that I've skipped supper this evening. What I was surprised to know, was that her mother was diagnosed with cancer last year and had been getting treatments. She is no longer getting treatments, and her hair is growing back...like so many others I know back home. I was able to say that I understood, because some of my family and friends have gone through the same thing recently.

While there, I watched gameshow TV and dramas--what we call soap operas. I didn't understand anything, but it was still kind of funny. It's so cool how facial expressions are universial :) I took the subway for the first time. It feels better than taking the bus, however, buses are so much more common and easier to access. The transportation system is wonderful. I have nothing to compare it to as far as city life, but it is so very easy to understand and get around.

I had a very restful day today, which has helped me get on the correct schedule. Traditional Korean dress will be tomorrow as well as some more language classes. Time to study!

No comments:

Post a Comment