January 2, 2024

Hez-e-Who?

Something I've learned about prophets of the Bible is often times, they do not bear good news, but provide rebuke of the Lord in acts of mercy for whom the message is relayed. They are not always respected nor heard, often mocked and scorned, or even killed for the messages they bring. This time, a well-known biblical prophet Isaiah is mentioned in wee ol' second Chronicles. 

In the middle of day one of the year two-thousand-twenty-four, I was holding the smooth leather-bound Book of Truth, seeking to pass some down-time before heading off for my daily endeavors. Turning to what seemed less than exciting details about a man named Hezekiah. No, it's not "hee-zee-kee-ya", although Ezekiel is pronounced "E-zee-kee-yul", I digress. 

Anyhow; turning to a random paragraph near the first third of the Bible, I found myself in 2 Chronicles chapter 32, verses 20-33. The heading reads: Hezekiah's Answered Prayer. So I read it aloud. I briefly commented on how strange it was to be in 2 Chronicles as it's not a widely chosen book that people flock to for quotes or information.

In the moment, I was highly intrigued. I was curious as to the context of what all it said: 

Hezekiah's Prayer is Answered (NASB)

20 But King Hezekiah and Isaiah the prophet, the son of Amos, prayed about this and called out to heaven for help. 21 And the Lord sent an angel who destroyed every warrior,  commander, and officer in the camp of the king of Assyria. So he returned in shame to his own land. And when he had entered the temple of his god, some of his own sons killed him there with the sword. 22 So the Lord saved Hezekiah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem from the hand of Sennacherib the king of Assyria and from the hand of all others, and guided them on every side. 23 And many were bringing gifts to the Lord at Jerusalem and valuable presents to Hezekiah king of Judah; so thereafter he rose in the sight of all nations. 

24 In those days, Hezekiah became mortally ill; and he prayed to the Lord, and the Lord spoke to him and gave him a sign. 25 But Hezekiah did nothing in return for the benefit he received, because his heart was proud; therefore wrath came upon him and upon Judah and Jerusalem. 26 However, Hezekiah humbled the pride of his heart, both he and the inhabitants of Jerusalem so that the wrath of the Lord did not come on them in the days of Hezekiah. 

27 Now Hezekiah had immense riches and honor; and he made for himself treasuries for silver, gold, precious stones, spices, shields, and all kinds of valuable articles, 28 also storehouses for the produce of grain, wine and oil; stalls for all kinds of cattle, and sheepfolds for the flocks. 29 He made cities for himself and acquired flocks and herds in abundance, because God had given him very great wealth. 30 It was Hezekiah who stopped the upper outlet of the waters of Gihon and directed them to the west side of the city of David. And Hezekiah was successful in everything that he did. 31 Even in the matter of the messengers of the rulers of Babylon, who were sent to him to inquire about the wonder that had happened in the land; God left him alone only to test him, so that He might know everything that was in his heart. 

32 Now the rest of the acts of Hezekiah and his deeds of devotion, behold, they are written in the vision of Isaiah the prophet, the son of Amoz, in the book of the Kings of Judah and Israel. 33 So Hezekiah lay down with his fathers, and they buried him in the upper section of the tombs of the sons of David; and all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem honored him at his death. And his son Manesseh became king in his place. 


Needless to say, I now had to read before and beyond to get the full context of what I just dropped my eyes upon (you will have to check it out for yourself as well) because it was hitting home for me. I felt it's weight, although I didn't understand. The bold text of the excerpt above are the words that weighed upon me for different reasons. When I mentioned the oddity of being in 2 Chronicles, and reading that exact section, I was encouraged to let it stick. When things of this type occur, we are to pay extra close attention because there is a reason for it sticking out as strange--so one will pay attention. Below, I share how I allowed this particular passage to remain in my heart. 

It is so reassuring to know that not only is God with us always, but especially when we cry out to Him for help. However, I think what impressed upon me was that Hezekiah did not cry out alone. He was crying out with a godly man, whom others knew was in right relationship with God. Not that we all need a prophet in our lives, but the importance is that when we cry out to help, that perhaps we are supposed to involve others; others whom we know are living in right relationship with our Lord who can cry out with us, along side us--to help intercede on our behalf. This walk is not meant to be walked alone. It's also neat to see that God answered. It may not have been visible by those who cried out, but it became known. God did all the fighting for them; they only cried out for help--this is huge! We must always cry to God for help. Perhaps he will give us direction, or perhaps He will send an angel to take care of things instead. Trust is key because the Lord saved Hezekiah from those who came against him, but also, all others. Who did the saving?  The LORD. And He guided them (like a hedge of protection) on every side!

There really is absolutely nothing to fear--it's a tactic of Satan and we must recognize it and rebuke it. Fear is not of God; but instead of power, love and a sound mind. (2 Tim 1:7)

What's more, is Hezekiah when he was ill and prayed God spoke to him and gave him a sign. It says he didn't follow what was given to him and payed for that choice, but God was nonetheless faithful when Hezekiah humbled himself.

God left Hezekiah alone only to test him, so he could know his own heart. This shows me that just because I may find myself alone, it may be ordered by the Lord and not because of something I have done "wrong" or anyone else having done something "wrong", either. It wasn't punishment, but enlightenment of Hezekiah's own self. Interesting, huh?! It seems no one wants to go through the dark places to be tested and tried only to be proven true, or to learn about ourselves...but it is just what the Father ordered in this case. (Currently, I sense this is where I am still navigating these days and identified well with this part--but I am at peace, here.) 

From this, I learn more about my Savior who continually listens, provides, guides and is always present.  His ways may certainly be mysterious to me, but He is more than faithful. 

For the rest of the scriptures, I'm continuing to research, but they are interesting still. For instance, what is the importance of the re-direction of the water of Gihon? And why did this action seemingly please the Lord that the Lord made Hezekiah successful in all of his ways? 

I also wonder why the rest of Hezekiah's story of devotion was/is important to tell us where to find it; what else is there!? Talk about exciting history, this is good stuff--Im hooked!

And not to be overlooked, but Hezekiah was buried in the same tomb as the sons of David, through whom the lineage of Jesus our Messiah expanded. What a king! I'm still learning about king Hezekiah and what more he can teach me about God and His son and my respective relationship thereof.

While there is more to share, I won't bore you with the details. Simply know that every year, I try to have a slogan of one to two words to focus on for the year. This year, I hadn't even begun to think about it--was actually the furthest thing from my mind. What's so cool is God did it for me. In my trying to understand what this very short, yet impactful time of purposefully sitting down to read God's word has stored up for me, God allowed me to have eyes for a focus. He basically led me to my yearly slogan and summed it up by personalizing it for me, "This is the year your prayer will be answered." 

I almost asked Him which one, but I didn't dare! I knew deep down which one :)

I'll leave you with this: God knows every detail of my life (and yours!) and I wouldn't have it any other way. He cares for me far beyond I can comprehend. His love for me I cannot fathom. I only see the mere edges of His ways and it is nearly too much for me. How can I doubt? How can I fear, when the God who created the universe knows my name? Oh what love. Taste and see that the Lord is good, my dear friends, the Lord is good, always!

Gihon Spring



GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME; ALL THE TIME GOD IS GOOD!

Revelation 21:5 And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."


No comments:

Post a Comment